The NPF program is a writing fellowship that aims to facilitate and support writing and publishing by Arab activists and junior scholars who wish to write research-based essays targeting diverse academic and non-academic audiences, including activists, policy makers and/or the general public.
Selected fellows will be mentored by experienced activist-scholars for the writing and publishing of essays that critically reflect on dominant debates and offer alternative paradigms on the theme of “Gendered Resistance.”
The New Paradigms Factory program aims to publish the fellows’ essays in an ACSS special volume on gendered resistance.
Themes of the Fellowship
Terms of the Fellowship
- Have already completed their research. If applicants are activists, they must have more than five years of working experience in their field.
- Are citizens or nationals of an Arab country based in the Arab region.
- Hold a Master’s degree in the social sciences, humanities or allied disciplines and must be actively engaged in social science debates and aware of current dominant paradigms and their limitations.
- Sherine Hamdy: Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of California, Irvine.
- Sawsan Abdulrahim: Associate Professor and Chair in the Department of Health Promotion and Community Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, at the American University of Beirut.
- Deema Kaedbey: Writer, researcher, co-founder and managing partner of the feminist organization in Beirut, the Knowledge Workshop, and member and co-editor of the feminist collective and webspace, Sawt al Niswa.
- Maroua Marmouch: ACSS postdoctoral fellow affiliated with Saint-Joseph University (USJ) in Beirut.
- Detailed CV, including academic and non-academic publications, if available
- One-page cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest in the program and what they hope to get out of it
- Proof of nationality or residence in the Arab region
- Essay proposal (5 – 6 pages)
- Appendix in which applicants give evidence of research already conducted, or work already done .
Application deadline: August 30,2018