The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Head of Monitoring and Evaluation. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation.
Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA. The Head of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) shall provide leadership for establishing and nurturing a strong, integrated and effective institutional M&E framework for IITA.
Leadership tasks include, but are not limited to guiding the institution into building a strong M&E culture and practice; obtaining, institutionalizing and managing software platforms (MEL (and MARLO)) to automate the aggregation and presentation of necessary M&E data; providing oversight to ensure quality data collection, analysis, and reporting to IITA management, donors and other stakeholders in a timely manner; building and overseeing the implementation of a strategy for capacity development of M&E personnel, focal persons as well as key partners to ensure best practices.
The Head of Monitoring and Evaluation shall provide support on proposal/strategy development, baseline and special studies, annual reporting, mid-term, and final evaluation methodologies; and facilitate critical reflection and learning across the institution based on information generated from the M&E system. In addition, contribute to increased appreciation of the need for quality M&E across the Institute, as well as increased confidence within the Unit by mentoring and appreciation of its personnel. S/he shall be based at the IITA headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria and have close interaction with the four hubs, country offices, and IITA project sites.
He/she will report to the Deputy Director General, Research for Development. Position/Responsibilities The specific responsibilities of the Head
• Maintain/Develop M&E related collaborative relationships with strategic partners on behalf of IITA.
• Continuously review, the M&E framework and ensure existence of M&E competences throughout the institution in terms of human and resource capacity as well as an enabling environment.
• Identify and minimize existing M&E procedures leading to duplicated efforts in order to save IITA’s resources.
• Any other task that may be assigned by the supervisor. Hub/Program/Project Level M&E Leadership (30%)
• Work with hub-level M&E personnel to review hub level M&E status and provide requisite support to strengthen the systems with specific attention to project inception, implementation and the various stages of project evaluations.
• Support program/project teams in development and implementation of M&E systems that satisfy institutional and donor standards, which include: – M&E plans with clearly defined indicators reflecting causal models; – Procedures for collection, collation, analysis, reporting, and use of data for decision-making; – Monitoring, documentation and learning approaches that are integrated, aligned, and mainstreamed into project activities and coordinated with stakeholders; – Plans for evaluation studies on outcome and impact level achievements.
• Develop staff capacity in maintaining data quality standards, and conduct data quality audits of all sources of M&E data that are reported.
• Support the use of appropriate software systems within the hubs, country offices and programs/projects as well as linkage to the institutional wide software system.
Educational Qualifications The successful candidate should hold a PhD, MBA or similar advanced degree in a relevant field. Core Competencies:
• At least 10 years of relevant experience.
• Excellent track record in developing M&E frameworks at institution and project level.
• Experience in institutionalizing and implementing results-based performance management.
• Proven leadership skills and sensitivity to cross-cultural and gender equity and diversity, and ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
• Demonstrated strategic thinking and time management skills.
• Knowledgeable in: – performance analysis indicators – logical framework approach – theory-based evaluation – formal survey techniques – rapid appraisal methods and other participatory methods – cost-benefit analysis and impact assessment approaches
• Conversant with database development, storage and management.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language are required with proficiency in other international languages viewed as a strong asset.
Duty Station: IITA Headquarters, Ibadan, Nigeria.